HORNBLOWER NIAGARA FUNICULAR
A View Unlike Any Other
Hornblower Niagara Cruises has brought a piece of history back to the Niagara Gorge!
In 1894, the Niagara Parks and River Railway first opened the Clifton Incline Railway. Now, over 28 years after the original cars seised operations, Hornblower Niagara Cruises teamed up with AnCam Solutions Company of Oakville, Ontario, to make something old new again. From 2017 to 2019, we constructed, installed, and launched two state-of-the-art funicular cars that now operate along the Great Gorge wall. Extra care was taken during construction not to disturb the stratified walls of the gorge, or it’s vegetation, preserving the natural flora and fauna.
Today, the modern Hornblower Niagara Funicular transports visitors along the 18,000-year-old rock walls of the Niagara Gorge to and from the boat boarding area. With a total distance of 56 m or 185 feet, our funicular is equal to an elevator approximately 19 stories tall but on an angle.
The temperature-controlled glass-enclosed cars feature audio commentary and priority seating. They also give riders unobstructed panoramic views of the Canadian Horseshoe and American Falls, as well as convenient access to our Riverside Patio and boarding area. It’s a one-of-a-kind adventure you don’t want to miss!
- Convenient Transportation (to/from our Riverside Patio and Boarding area)
- Comfortable Climate-controlled (protect against the weather)
- Incredible Views
- Audio Commentary
- Wheelchair Accessibility
Funicular Hours of Operation
|Dates||Funicular Opens||Funicular Closes|
|* Please note we are CLOSED for the season. Follow us on Facebook or visit our website in the new year when we will make announcements for our 2021 operating season.|
Did You Know?
- All Funicular passengers and carry-on items will be subject to search.
- Acceptable luggage/carry-on items include a purse, camera bag, small carry-on or backpack (with no wheels) or small to midsize infant stroller.
- Any luggage item larger than 36cm (14”) x 23cm (9”) x 56cm (22”) is not permitted on Hornblower Niagara Cruises property.
- Use of the Hornblower Niagara Funicular is subject to normal hours of operations, availability and weather conditions. At its sole discretion, Hornblower Niagara Cruises reserves the right to provide alternative means of transportation to the Riverside Patio and boarding area. In the event that the Hornblower Niagara Funicular is not available for use, no refunds shall be issued.